This year, I’m purchasing 12 new items to add to my closet. I found that simply not buying took away the temptation to overspend, and it’s much more difficult to be a good steward while allowing myself to shop. (I’m like a squirrel when I’m at the store. Sparkly- shiny- so-many-possibilities!)
My February find was this perfect striped dress on major clearance at the Banana Republic Factory Store. It was $27, and as soon as I slipped it on, I knew. The birds even sang and tied the matching belt around my waist. It was magical.
I’ve probably tried on 30-some striped dresses since the challenge ended and none fit quite right…until this one. Remember- try on, try on, try on! Everyone has to. Don’t ever feel like it’s you if things aren’t fitting- you just haven’t found the right clothes yet.
Why I added it: I wear my striped sweater all.the.time, so I already know this dress is versatile and can be dressed up or down. It’s also the perfect weight to wear year round.
I chose not to include replacements, gift cards, or birthday gifts as part of this challenge, and my birthday is in February, so a few extra pieces joined my closet.
All of these gifts would have been on my original list (below), but I knew they were coming, so I didn’t add them.
- Leopard print scarf
- Black jeans (My old pair had been dyed so many times it wasn’t picking up the dye anymore and had turned a nasty whitish color. No thank you, 80’s vibe.)
- Wedge lace ups
- Denim jacket
- A sequin skirt (This replaces a cocktail dress that was worn out and is more versatile because I can pair it with a variety of tops.)
- A pair of jean shorts (I like that these fall at my finger tips as-is, but can be rolled down for a different look.)
- With birthday money, I added a cross body bag with a versatile color palette (that I think I can make double as a clutch), and a clutch that can be dressed up or down. I also realized I have a leopard wallet that can double as a clutch, so I’m set in this department!
- With the last of my birthday money, I found a great pair of white jeans on sale to replace mine. They got a stain on them that won’t come out, so I’m planning to dye them an olive green color to extend their life. Fingers crossed they turn out!
A peek at my list:
plain or striped jersey knit dress(Check!)
- another summer dress (Dresses are hard for me to find, but they’re perfect for Texas summers, so I’d like to add a couple to my closet this year.)
- black and white polka dot collared button up (I wear my other polka dotted tops and button ups all the time, so I’d like to mix the two.)
- rain boots (I’m starting to waver on this one. It doesn’t really rain that much here in Texas, and I can wear my boots or booties and be just fine.)
- wedge sandals- black, cognac, or a bright color, because I’ve got a lot of neutral summer shoes
- floral scarf
- colored cocktail ring
- fur vest (T’s not a big fan of this one, so I may not go for it. I like to dress in things he really likes.)
How are your shopping challenges going?