we loooooove mexican food around la casa de skidmore.
this dip is our favorite addition to homemade mexican-inspired meals. it’s colorful, delicious, and paired with chips can even be a meal in itself.
my adapted version is below.
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can of sweet, whole-kernel corn, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 9 tablespoons olive oil (i used vegetable oil in a pinch once and it tasted great, too.)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
- 6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (i normally use 3 limes)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados, chopped- keep one avocado seed
combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. cover and chill for a few hours or overnight. (to keep the avocados from browning, put the seed from 1 avocado in the bowl.)
serve with chips and try not to eat the whole bowl in one sitting.