Happy Wednesday, sweet friends!
If you’re just joining in, we’ve started a series on building a capsule wardrobe. Thoughtfully considering your wardrobe can save you time, money, and stress.
Before you dive into today’s post, be sure to consider the mindset behind a successful capsule wardrobe if you haven’t already. Our closets, thoughts, and emotions are tightly intertwined and will work for or against us. Without the right mindset, your capsule wardrobe won’t be as effective.
Alright, now that we’ve got our ducks in a row, let’s talk anatomy. (Of the closet, don’t worry. This place is G To the R-ated. (GTR- get it? I know, I know, I am the queen of corny jokes that really don’t make sense but at which I laugh hysterically.)
To have a strong capsule wardrobe, you need pieces that work well together.
This week, we’re covering the core pieces. A simple list includes seven pieces:
- short sleeve top (tee or blouse)
- long sleeve top
- completer piece
Two things about this:
- I chose these pieces because they cover the basic cuts that make up a closet. If you’re not a skirt or dress person, you could sub a pair of shorts or a different style of pants; they just won’t give you as many remixing options.
- I’ve chosen to use black and white pieces to create a blank canvas. We’ll look at additional capsule wardrobes later in the series, but I want you to consider your own closet for now.
Now, look at the possibilities: (I’m so excited about this I can hardly stand it!)
- tank, pants
- tank, skirt
- tank, completer piece, pants
- tank, completer piece, skirt
- tank, completer piece, dress (as a skirt)
- tee, pants
- tee, skirt
- tee, completer piece, pants
- tee, completer piece, skirt
- tee, completer piece, dress (as a skirt)
- long sleeve top, pants
- long sleeve top, skirt
- long sleeve top, completer piece, pants
- long sleeve top, completer piece, skirt
- long sleeve top, dress (if you wore the top under the dress and then over and knotted or belted, you could count this combination twice.)
- long sleeve top under dress, completer piece
- long sleeve top over the dress (used as a skirt), completer piece
- completer piece, pants (this look and the next combination only work if your completer piece can be closed or buttoned to create a wearable shirt! :))
- completer piece, skirt
- completer piece, dress
- dress (worn as top) and skirt
Amazing! When you think about changing up jewelry, belts, shoes, and purses, you can literally come up with dozens of different looks from SEVEN PIECES. If I had a microphone right now, I would drop it and walk away.
Buuuut I don’t, so let’s hear it! What are you thinking? Do you have pieces you could plug into these equations? Did the number of potential outfits surprise you?
Read more about How To Build A Capsule Wardrobe.
Shop the pieces:
tank (j. crew via the clothes mentor, similar)
short sleeve top (forever 21, similar)
long sleeve top (kohl’s, similar)
completer piece (old navy, exact)
pants (kohl’s, similar)
skirt (j. crew outlet- similar, similar)
dress (jc penney, similar)