So many of you have told me you struggle with prints. I used to, too! But these super easy tricks will help:
- Choose patterns you’re drawn to- even if you aren’t sure if they’ll go with what you have. Chances are, they can be paired with most of your neutrals, and you want to have pieces that you get excited about wearing!
- Classic patterns are a safe bet: stripes, polka dots, animal print, floral, checks, etc.
- The trick with patterns like floral and animal print is to pick versions that are made up of colors you’d find in nature. Do that, and they’ll be timeless!
- Not sure what to pair your print with? Build the rest of your outfit using color families found in the print.
- Want the patterns in your looks to be subtle? Add tiny pops, like in a shoe, or with lace. You can also go with a tiny print that reads as a solid from far away, like this herringbone skirt. (It’s so tiny, it didn’t even show as herringbone with a close up photo!) Don’t have any herringbone? Pin stripes would work, too.
Is there something else you’ve always wondered with when it comes to prints? Ask away in the comments below!
What is a Style Trial?
Have you ever thought to yourself, “She looks so great in that, but I could never pull it off?”
We can be so quick to judge and not even try something that we might end up loving.
The bottom line is, you never know how something will look (or if you’ll like it!) until you try it on.
So most weeks, I’ll post a tip or trick to help you style your favorite pieces in a fresh way- a style trial.
Even if the tip doesn’t feel like you, challenge yourself to give it a try. If you don’t like the way your outfit looks, you don’t have to wear it out of the house. And if you love the way it turns out (or learn something/come up with an outfit you want to share) use the hashtag #gtrstyletrial on Instagram so we can see your new look!