i formally introduced you to my teal jeans yesterday. they are my pride and joy. (not really but they’re cool.)
i love that the challenge has inspired me to get creative. i’ve been drooling over the colored pants trend for a while now and instead of moping and complaining that i can’t buy any, i made my own. (shazaam!)
i used a pair of jeans that i love but no longer wore because they were faded. (it’s important to use a pair you’re ok with never wearing again in case something goes horribly wrong.)
when bleaching them in the washing machine didn’t pan out, i turned to these instructions (with a few modifications, which i’ll share).
now for my extremely precise process to turn pants a different color:
1. i grabbed the weed bucket (aka the only bucket we own. i figure the dirt can’t hurt, right?).
2. i filled it 3/4 of the way full with hot water.
3. i poured the prescribed amount of bleach and added it to the bucket (which i set on cardboard in my garage to contain any accidents).
4. i added the jeans and let them sit for 5 minutes. they looked like this:
5. still blue. so i let them sit. and sit. and sit some more. i ended up pouring in half the bottle of bleach and leaving them overnight.
6. i wrung them out (approximately 20 hours later), washed and dried them, and ta da! whitish-bluish jeans.
7. at this point, i abandoned my dream of red jeans. i thought i’d better go with a blue undertone so i didn’t end up with blurple, instead. (eww.)
8. i followed the instructions on the back of the bottle (super easy since my washing machine did all the work) and used two to get an intense shade.
9. while they dried, i cleaned out my washer with bleach.
10. i’m in like!
questions? comments? concerns? love notes to my jeans? write them below and i’ll make sure they get the message. (they love you, too.)