these verses have been on my mind
some a lot since i read them last week.
“All the believers were one in heart and mind. No one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they shared everything they had. With great power the apostles continued to testify to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and much grace was upon them all. There were no needy persons among them. For from time to time those who owned lands or houses sold them, brought the money from the sales and put it at the apostles’ feet, and it was distributed to anyone as he had need.”
i know the challenge is changing the way that i think about things. but i’m a broken, sinful human, so i realize that there’s more to change. when a scripture passage like this sticks with me for several days, i know there’s something that God’s working on in my heart.
here are some of the questions i’ve been asking myself as i’ve pondered these verses:
- do i share everything that i have? i’d like to say yes, but there are definitely times that i don’t.
- am i willing to share everything that i have? i think the willingness is key. i could share it all, but without the right attitude, it definitely loses something.
- do i see the people in need around me? more than i did before i started working at cornerstone but there’s always room for improvement.
- would i sell my house if God told me to? i think so.
- and give the money away? i hope so. i don’t know if you can really say until you’re confronted with the actual situation.
now, i don’t feel like He’s calling me to sell my house right now, but to be honest, i’m sweating a little just thinking about the words up there. they’re uncomfortable to follow, but i want to give anything He asks of me. if i really believe God is who He says He is and i am His disciple, i’ve got to take care of the poor and be willing to give up anything of “my own” to someone who needs it.
how amazing would it be if the same thing could be said of our communities? there were no needy persons among them. ooo i just got chills!
what He’s calling me to, i’m not really sure, but i’m praying He’ll help me be willing!