i decided to start looking at fashion during the 1920’s, because that’s where i think our current wardrobe starts its repetition.
common themes in the twenties*:
- drop waists and shift dresses
- layered necklaces, fur, and headpieces
- intricate beading
- close-fitting hats
classic pieces can always be styled to fit the trends of the moment. for example:
- pearls of any length are always in style. (thanks coco!)
- shift dresses can be belted to create a different look.
- feminine bows range from large to small, but a medium size is classic.
my favorite picks from the 20’s for a capsule wardrobe:
- a long strand of pearls (it can be left long or wrapped– even pin a brooch to the layers for a touch of bling).
- sequins and/or intricate beading. no matter if this is on a headband, blouse, dress, or bottom, it can be dressed up or down.
- a feminine blouse with a bow.
what are your favorite pieces from the 20’s? are there any you know right off the bat would compliment your style?
* all of this is based on searching google and pinterest for images by decade. my goal was to get an idea of what trends dominated each era.
ps i created a pinboard i’ll use alongside this series. you can find additional looks from the 20’s there- including more modern twists!